The total number of publicly and privately owned charging stations in China reached 1.681 million as of December 2020, an increase of 37.9 percent over the same period last year, according to a new report.

The EV charging station operation data recently released by the China Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Promotion Alliance (EVCIPA) showed that, as of December, the total number of public charging stations reported by its members reached 807,000, an increase of 16% from November.

Beijing, Guangdong, Shanghai, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Shandong, Anhui, Hubei, Henan and Hebei are the 10 regions with the most public charging stations, with their combined share reaching 72.3%.

Tesla opens 60 supercharging stations in China in November with a total of 517 superchargers

The regions with the highest usage of charging power in China are Guangdong, Jiangsu, Sichuan, Beijing, Henan, Shaanxi, Shanxi, Shandong, Fujian, and Zhejiang provinces.

Buses and passenger cars are the main vehicles using these infrastructures, while sanitation vehicles, logistics vehicles, cabs and other types of vehicles account for a smaller proportion.

The concentration of operators of public charging infrastructure is high. As of December 2020, nine charging operators in China operate more than 10,000 charging stations.

Among them, TELD operates 207,000 stations, StarCharge operates 205,000 stations, STATE GRID operates 181,000 stations, YKCCN operates 57,000 stations, EV Power operates 26,000 stations, SAIC Anyo Charging operates 20,000 stations, and Shenzhen City Carenergynet operates 15,000 units, Potevio operates 15,000 units, and Wanma ICHARGE operates 13,000 units.

These nine operators account for 91.6% of the total and the remaining operators account for 8.4% of the total.

Charging infrastructure in China increased by 462,000 units in 2020, with a 12.4% year-over-year increase in incremental public charging infrastructure.

China has built world's largest charging network for new energy vehicles