Polestar will own 49 percent of the joint venture, with Xingji Meizu holding the remaining 51 percent.

(Image credit: CnEVPost)

After acquiring smartphone maker Meizu last year, is integrating it with car brands under its umbrella.

Swedish electric vehicle (EV) maker Polestar said today it has formed a joint venture with Xingji Meizu to build an operating system for Polestar cars sold in China.

Polestar will own 49 percent of the joint venture, with Xingji Meizu holding the remaining 51 percent, according to a statement.

The joint venture will build on Xingji Meizu's existing operating system, Flyme Auto, for Polestar's smart operating system, Polestar OS, for the Chinese market.

The system can be integrated with cell phones, augmented reality smart terminals and user service applications to create a borderless digital ecosystem, Polestar said.

China is one of the fastest-growing EV markets in the world, with distinct consumer trends, notably the deep integration of consumer electronics and cars, said Polestar CEO Thomas Ingenlath.

Through this partnership, Polestar and Xingji Meizu will provide Chinese customers with an experience that exceeds expectations, he said.

Originally a brand acquired by Volvo Cars, Polestar became independent with joint funding from Geely and Volvo, focusing on premium EVs and based in Gothenburg, Sweden.

In June 2022, Polestar went public on NASDAQ through a merger with a SPAC (Special Purpose Acquisition Company).

Currently, Polestar's models are all produced in Chinese factories.

Meizu was one of the first smartphone manufacturers in China, founded in 2003, and became one of the best-known phone makers in the smartphone era. However, the company's market share has declined severely over the past few years.

On July 4, 2022, Hubei Xingji Shidai Technology, a cell phone company founded by Eric Li, founder and chairman of carmaker Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, announced the completion of its acquisition of a majority stake in Meizu.

Xingji acquired a 79.09 percent controlling interest in Meizu and gained sole control of the company.

Last November, Meizu released the system, called Flyme Auto, saying it was a continuation of the Flyme mobile operating system for the smart cockpit.

In March, the Xingji Meizu Group was officially launched, and its executives announced at the time that the company would focus on mobile and in-car systems, XR technology and forward-looking technologies going forward.

With the new joint venture, Polestar is no longer an EV company, but a technology company with multiple smart terminals, including cars and phones, Xingji Meizu CEO Shen Ziyu said today.

Polestar 4 launched in China with starting price of $50,870