Changan NIO is hiring for a number of positions in Chongqing, Nanjing and Shanghai as it aggressively pursues the development of its premium brand.
Chinese media outlet nbd.com.cn quoted a Changan employee as saying, "Currently, the development of the premium brand is progressing step by step, and the project is codenamed E11 within Changan."
At the same time, Changan has stepped up its "recruiting" efforts. According to the report, since December, Changan NIO New Energy Vehicle Technology has posted numerous job openings in Shanghai, Nanjing, and Jiangbei, Chongqing, for positions such as site manager, production and purchasing manager, and director of smart grid connectivity.
It is worth mentioning that in the job description for the "Senior Manager of Refined Processes" position, Changan NIO requires candidates to have at least 3 years of experience working on a project in a refined process for a luxury automotive brand (Audi, Lexus, etc.).
This is in line with Changan's premium brand positioning and indicates that the Changan NIO will remain one of the vehicles for Changan's new premium brand, the report said.
When Changan NIO was founded, the joint venture announced that the new company would be located in Nanjing's Jiangning Development Zone, with a total investment of 5 billion yuan and construction starting the same year.
According to Changan NIO's previous disclosure, the first product jointly built with Huawei and CATL has completed its initial R&D work and will enter mass production soon.
From the recruitment information launched so far, the new high-end brand is still dominated by Changan. "The high-end brand we are jointly building with Huawei and CATL is the same high-end brand AB that was previously planned in the brand structure," said Changan to nod.com.cn.
In April 2018, while announcing the "Third Innovation and Entrepreneurship Plan", Changan reorganized its brands to form a brand system consisting of Changan, Oushang, Kaicheng and the premium brand (tentatively named AB).
As Changan, Huawei and CATL launch their joint high-end branding program, NIO's stay or departure has become the focus of attention.
In June, NIO founder William Li Bin stepped down as chairman of Changan NIO and was replaced by Tan Benhong, Changan's executive vice president. At that time, Changan increased its capital to 95.38 percent, leaving Changan NIO with a 4.62 percent stake in the company.
Subsequently, Changan then stated in its 2020 semi-annual report, "During the reporting period, Changan acquired Changan NIO, bringing the company into the scope of consolidated financial statements."
When Changan NIO was founded, Changan and NIO each held 45% of the shares, with the other 10% to be held by management and used to attract talent. But now that NIO's stake in Changan NIO is less than 5 percent, its exit is seen as probable.